Welcome to the Advanced Manufacturing West 2019 Presentation Store. Here you can view and download conference and/or show floor theater presentations before, during, and after the event. If you’re looking for a presentation from a specific session that you’re unable to find here, note that it’s likely because the presenter has not provided permission for external use or has not yet shared their presentation with us. Please check back after the event for a more complete catalogue of available presentations.
Mark Wehde (Section Head, Technology Development Division of Engineering, Mayo Clinic)
Date: Thursday, February 7
Time: 8:30am - 9:15am
Track: 3D Printing Innovation Summit
Vault Recording: TBD
In this session, you'll hear how Mayo Clinic engineers and surgeons collaborate to develop novel 3D-printed titanium orthopedic implant prototypes. These implantable devices are evaluated through computational modeling and cadaveric testing of the 3D titanium printed parts. Attendees will learn how the relationship between engineers and surgeons leads to innovations that either on their own can’t accomplish, as well as how several of these mature engineering tools and techniques can each be used appropriately and effectively to allow for the rapid development of novel devices.
• New opportunities afforded by 3D printing of metal and plastic prototypes
• 3D printing as a precursor to 3D patient-specific implants
• The clinical case for innovation in orthopedic implants
• How computational modeling and mechanical design can lead to rapid device optimization
• Use of 3D-printed titanium parts in cadaver testing for verification of biomechanical performance